This recipe is a marvelous twist on traditional pancakes. They are flourless (hence gluten-free), dairy free and low calorie. These banana pancakes are so quick and easy to make, you can literally enjoy these banana pancakes in a snap.
Only three ingredients are required for this recipe: bananas, eggs and baking powder. The baking powder gives them a fluffier texture. The pancakes have a soft custard-like center that melts in your mouth, along with crispy golden brown edges.
The recipe below is for one serving but this recipe can be double or tripled successfully; just use the ratio of 2 eggs: 1½ bananas. For four people, use 8 eggs and 6 bananas. Remember to use ripe bananas – those bananas that have brown spots on them already. It doesn’t matter is the flesh is a little bruised.
It is easier to flip smaller pancakes than bigger pancakes as the bigger pancakes have a tendency to break apart when flipped. Pile the pancakes on a plate and serve with maple syrup or honey. Other toppings suggestions are: blueberries, strawberries, yogurt, sugar and lemon juice or even crispy bacon.
INGREDIENTS (for one serving):
- 1½ bananas – ripe to overripe (7 oz.)
- 2 eggs
⅛ teaspoon baking powder
Maple syrup, butter, blueberries or any other topping of your choice, to serve.
- Crack the eggs in a mixing bowl and add the baking powder.
- Whisk to combine.
- In another mixing bowl, lightly mash the bananas with a fork. The mashed banana should be chunky and not smooth. This will yield a fluffy pancake.
- Pour the egg mixture into the mashed banana and stir to combine. There should be enough egg to hold the mashed banana together.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, melt a knob of butter with a little oil (½ teaspoon) – this is to prevent the butter from burning.
- Drop spoonful’s of batter in the frying pan and cook on one side until the baking powder is activated. 1 or 2 tablespoons of batter is enough for each pancake.
- Flip pancake over and cook until golden brown on each side.
- Cook 2 or 3 pancakes at a time to facilitate easier flipping.
- Stack onto a plate and serve warm with a topping of your choice.